Palazzo Massimauri

The construction of the building started in 1576, when Camilla Peretti, sister of Sistus V, bought “four low houses” to make it the principal and noble residence of the Peretti family. It remained so until the death of Sistus V in 1590. It has been owned by the Massimauri family since 1790 andbetween 1900 and 1960 housed the police station, located on the second floor. The architecture, both external and internal, shows the succession of restorations, from the 16thcentury masonry incorporated in the defensive walls to the evocative underground rooms used as an oil mill in the second half of the 19th century, passing through the enchanting internal courtyard and the rooms with coffered ceilings on the ‘Piano Nobile’.